In just the last 2-4 generations, the number and concentration of toxins we are exposed to everyday has exploded exponentially, however, our inbuilt detoxification processes have hardly evolved at all in this same time period. When our bodies struggle to keep up with this increased load, we can be left feeling fatigued, run down, anxious, and foggy. We may experience poor skin quality and eczema like rashes, hormone disruption and thyroid or reproductive dysfunction, recurrent infections, digestive issues, food sensitivities, weight struggles, hair loss and unexplained aches and pains or tingling sensations.
One of the big culprits is mercury toxicity due to fish consumption or old dental fillings. Mercury fillings release inorganic mercury in liquid and gas form which is then inhaled and swallowed. One of the ways it is excreted from the body is via the kidneys and so urine testing is one of the best tests to detect your level of exposure to inorganic mercury. Methyl mercury is a highly absorbable form of mercury obtained from eating fish and is easily diffused into the circulation where it can cause many problems. It can take up to 60 days for the mercury from 2 tins of tuna to get out of your blood. Hair testing is one of the best ways to assess methyl mercury exposure. Blood tests can also be performed for further details of toxin exposure, but all these tests can become very expensive. However, there are also comprehensive questionnaires you can do which are free and can give you a very good indication of your general toxin exposure and how it may be affecting you.
Here at Balm Natural Health we can arrange these questionnaires for you as part of your initial consultation. We then assess your results and can formulate a naturopathic detoxification program tailored specifically to you.