A rich, moist, gluten free chocolate cake with no nasties.
Preparation time: – 15 minutes
Cooking Time: – 30-40 minutes
Oven Temperature: – 180C
¾ cup coconut oil
½ cut organic maple syrup
¾ cup raw cacao
1 medium raw beetroot, peeled and finely chopped in the food processor or grated (approx. ¾ cup)
2 cups almond meal
3 eggs (beaten in a separate small bowl)
3 tbsp coconut palm sugar
3 tsp gluten-free baking powder
• ¾ cup organic dark chocolate (broken into pieces)
• ¼ cup organic coconut cream
1. Preheat a fan-forced oven to 180C and line a cake tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Peel and quarter the beetroot and pulse in a food processor until it’s finely chopped (it will resemble a sloppy beetroot dip). Then add coconut oil, maple syrup, cacao & beetroot into a saucepan on really low heat and stir for a couple of minutes until all combined and it resembles a smooth chocolate sauce.
3. Mix together the almond meal, coconut palm sugar, and baking powder in a large bowel until combined. Then add the beaten eggs and chocolate/beetroot mix to the bowl and stir until completely combined.
4. Pour the mix into the lined cake tin and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through. Leave to cool before removing from tin.
• Melt chocolate in a saucepan on very low heat
• Once it’s melted, remove from the heat and pour in coconut cream and beat until combined
• Leave to cool for a few minutes then continue to beat until it’s smooth and glossy. Spread over the cake and enjoy.